Monday, March 5, 2012

Proper Intros, and Gal Beginnings ( and some tips for beginners)



I figured I'd make a proper intro for anyone who's new to my blog  and shed a bit of light into who I am. 

Name: Isis (yes this is my real name) 
Age: 24
Location: New Jersey 
Birthday: June 12th 
(I'm a Gemini) 
Styles: Goth, Gyaru, Mori-kei, Lolita Udoli and Ulzzang
A little more in depth for each. I have no set Goth Style so more often than not my Gothiness. I try to stick with things I like and probably a bit on the err..fashionable side I guess.

Gyaru: I'm a beginner at this. My styles I will be working on are Himekaji, Onee Gyaru and Amekaji. These are the styles I like most and I think are fairly easy to shop for and wear.

Mori Kei. It's something I just got into. I really like the down to earth feeling of it. It seems more of a cold season fashion because of the layers.

Lolita is something I've always enjoyed since I was 16. It was my first encounter with Japanese fashion and it will never leave my heart. I really love the classics, and steam punk lolita looks really nifty. Ootome ( I think I spelled this wrong lol) It's basically like a less frilly and poofy version of lolita, more suited for the work place ( depending on where you work)
Udoli, I have not forgotten it. But it's very hard to leave my house with tribal makeup. It's still a work in progress for me. Especially to give it a distinct look from everything else. But it's opened my eyes to new things and has given me so many ideas.
Ulzzang: I like the simplicity of the style and the makeup ( although I'm completely aware that this means best face)

I didn't mention my other favorite loves which is Fair-Kei....but at current I wouldn't be comfortable I wouldn't be comfy wearing it and not entirely sure how to make it work for me. I do love me some pastels and the mount of layering and fur that can be worn * O*

Gal Beginnings 


I'm not new the fashion itself but I'm a newbie at actually doing it. I seem to be doing alright as far as makeup goes ( see picture at beginning of post) There are so many applied rules that are just unsaid, and even the said rules are a bit much. Knowing me I'm going to break them, because essentially Every Gal is different ( I think this may be an understatement in my case) As a western Gal and one of African-American decent. There are definitely no err Models to look to for inspiration, but there are plenty of Black Gals in the community. Each has their own look and particular style. So I look at their pictures for at least a spark of inspiration.
At current I'm working to make some himekaji and onee gyaru piece for my wardrobe and trying to see what I have that I can use. I was never taught to dress for my body type ( I'm over weight but in the long process of losing the extra) So I'm definitely stumbling through this. This is actually more of a challenge than hair for me. But I'm not posting any outfits until I think I have something good enough. As to at least show that I'm trying and not diving right into things like I'm the grand puuba of Gal knowledge or something. I haven't really received any critiques or criticism. To Any Gal reading this Con Crit is more than welcome. I just advise you watch the "implied" tone when writing one. I don't mind Con Crit but I'm easily defensive if I perceive it to be harsh or more brash than it should. I know some Gals think being hard on New Gen Gals is the way to go but you either scare them or they get defensive ( and because they're defensive they sometimes listen to anyone who wasn't harsh and take longer to improve) I just don't take hard criticism very well. 
....Moving on. 

So I'm without a doubt in a learning stage and not ready to wear a full look outside yet. But hopefully soon. And you will probably see some hints of Goth in my Gal. The "darkside" is my comfort lol. 


Gal Beginner Tips

From my observations this is what I can offer you. 

Find a style or styles that you like and you think you can do . The Reason I don't do full Hime Gyaru 
is because it is in fact way too over the top for me and I have no patience to do all that hair styling. Not to mention if shiny fabrics of the satin kind is involved....that's a really big no no. And A lot of the Hime Gyaru I have seen. I haven't liked many of the outfits at all and the Hime Gal com on LJ is really dead. 

Look At Gyaru pictures. Magazine Scans  to keep up with the latest trend. 
Do keep in mind that you have to make the style fit you. You don't have to wear the latest everything to be Gal. 

Don't just have Gyaru Models as your inspiration. There is nothing wrong with liking them or having them as inspiration, but for most of us Westerners we're always going to be a little bit different. Whether it's body type, hair, face shape.  And sometimes all of those. So look for western Gals that are really good at the style ( in your eyes) That have features you have. 

Know your body type. I cannot stress this enough. Especially if you're a plus size gal. Not all of have curves in the right places so it helps that you learn what body type you have and how to dress it. This will help when picking out clothing in the style you like so you can achieve the look and still look great.

For  Makeup. This is a big issue. Practice Practice Practice. You should have a basic grasp of makeup, from foundation to eye shadow. There are plenty of youtube tutorials you can look for help. You also need to know what colors you can and cannot wear. Not every color looks good on everyone one. For Gals of color try to find the ladies with a skin tone closest to yours when learning the basic makeup, so you can choose the right foundations and lip colors ( this especially if you want to try pink or red lipsticks)  Also learn the natural makeup look, it's a simple go to in makeup. Learn the basics for Gal Eye shapes when playing with eyeliner here:http://myau-club.blogspot.com/2011/02/types-of-gyaru-eyemake-style.html 
Don't just think that the droopy eye look is the only look. If it works on you then I encourage you to try it, but  just know it's not the only look. 

There's also a bit of a push in the ways of contouring...Now I myself, just barely contour my nose, I do highlight it. But that's it. My face looks to strange if  I try to contour the sides. I don't have the shape for that. but I encourage you to try it. Everything is a learning process. It's trial and error. 
 Also lashes are a big deal as well. You don't have to buy the biggest spiked lashes or the most voluminous ones that they look like bat wings ( and honestly buying huge lashes that are large enough that they cover you're eye shadow you worked so hard on getting the way you like is kinda dumb) when getting bottom lashes, really look at them. You don't need spider legs coming out of the bottom part of your eye. 

Hair...is a topic I haven't played around with too much. First and foremost don't let everyone lure you into the trap of needing to have massive hair in blonde, brunette or dark brown only. while the most unnatural color I've seen is probably pink, you can probably get away with some other colors depending upon your chosen style ( and if more than one either have a color that will fit both or invest in wigs) also make sure you get a color whether a natural color or not make sure you find a color that suits you and your skintone.  Yes Most Gyaru have big massive hair and curls, but it's impractical if it's not a wig that is pre-styled ( either bought that way or styled by you before hand) but you can have short hair and still be gyaru. If you have Natural curls. try to work with them. A wavy hairstyle can be delightful. For natural haired Black Gals don't always head straight for a sew in  or a flat iron. If you find that your hair is not long enough for what you're trying to achieve a wig is fun, and a lot less expensive. Or try a twist out or a braid out. Youtube is full of tutorials. Granted results may not be the same for everyone so also try flexi-rods and hair curlers with a setting lotion. There are ways to do everything.   


Edit: Just one more thing. Don't over photoshop....actually don't photo shop at all. The reason I say this, it's not going to help you when you start putting photos online, and asking for critiques. People can't see what your makeup really looks like when you photoshop your pictures. A watermark is fine, but don't do anything beyond that. 
These are just some tips I can offer. I hope I don't come off as pretentious or like a know it all. This is all strictly from my observations And what I can offer from one newbie to another. 

Bai Bai Buuu 

No comments:

Post a Comment